How keen are you when you come across people you met maybe 10 years ago? I had a chance of meeting one of my college mates and I must say that she looked 55 at 35 years of age. It might have happened to you that on various occasions you have met people who appear younger than actually are. The question that comes to your mind is: What is your secret? Well, the time has come to unveil the mystery. In this article, I will introduce you to 5 causes of premature aging.
What is premature aging?
The skin is the reflection of our health. We call premature aging the deterioration of the skin as a result of factors such as sun rays, lack of vitamins and contact with toxins. Collagen, elastin, and glycosaminoglycans are the elements responsible for giving firmness, elasticity, and moisture to the skin. A healthy lifestyle and a healthy mind will make us to look young for longer.
5 causes of premature aging
Unhappiness and depression
One of the factors that promote premature aging depression. The fact of having excellent mental health has a favorable effect on our physical appearance. Sadness causes involuntary muscular contractions that can generate wrinkles, while laughter exercises the muscles of the face making us look younger and attractive
Stress has been classified as the evil of the 21st century, being one of the main causes of premature aging during the last years. The most devastating effects of this physiological disorder are hair loss, anxiety, obesity, insomnia, and depression. We recommend finding methods to release stress: practice yoga and meditation, find a new hobby and enjoy the pleasures of life; They will keep you young and stimulated.
The mere fact of practicing a little physical exercise gives us a much more youthful and healthy appearance. This is due to the release of hormones such as HGH and adrenaline that reduces stress, intervenes in the circulation and in different physiological processes. Exercise practiced regularly prevents obesity, improves blood circulation and increases respiratory capacity.
Poor feeding habits
Fruits, vegetables, lean meat, and nuts contribute vitamins, proteins, and fats that the body needs for its proper functioning. Remember that poor diet negatively influences metabolism, increases cholesterol and the likelihood of hypertension, diabetes, and coronary heart disease, which will be reflected in your hair and skin.
Lack of enough sleep
Having a proper rest every night is very important for cell renewal and collagen synthesis. The skin becomes moist and becomes more flexible and shiny. Avoid premature aging by sleeping 6 to 8 hours. I’m sure your body will appreciate it.
Scientific keys in aging:
- Defects in DNA: These damages that accumulate in the genes throughout life, whether due to internal or external causes, are one of the main causes of aging and also the appearance of tumors, except in those of a family nature.
- Size of telomeres (ends of chromosomes): The shorter the telomeres, the higher the risk of cancer and the acceleration of aging. To make them grow, avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, and start eating a balanced diet.
- Genome changes: DNA suffers the effects of our lifestyle habits and exposure to the environment (solar radiation and tobacco); These are also one of the main causes of aging.
- Defective proteins. When the body can not eliminate the defective proteins, they accumulate and generate different diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Exhaustion of stem cells in tissues. Without these cells with regenerative capacity, the tissues and organs age faster.
However, to avoid aging it is recommended to have healthy habits such as a balanced diet, taking supplements and the practice of some physical activity. Also, try to visit your doctor before any to ward off any potential health issues.